Even at a first glance, Instagram obviously works in a different way to Facebook. “What, another platform to learn, on top of running my very busy business?” – you might ask yourselves. And while the answer is yes, you needn’t fret. The differences can work to your advantage.
Let us take a look first at a few very useful Instagram and Facebook statistics.
Facebook statistics 2018
- The biggest social media platform, it gathers 2.23 billion active users monthly in 2018.
- More than 20% of the total world population uses Facebook.
- In terms of demographics, Facebook appeals to all age groups, even to seniors 65+. Same goes for all levels of education.
- Nearly a half (44%) users said last year that Facebook influences their shopping decisions and patterns.
- More than 60 million businesses use Facebook, some for better, some for worse. Competition sounds tough by size, but in reality it breaks down to how many businesses use the platform at a professional level.
Instagram statistics 2018
- Instagram attracts nearly 1 billion monthly active users in 2018, with nearly a third of these becoming active during the last year alone.
- Demographically, a younger population tends to use Instagram, with only 8% of seniors 65+ choosing it.
- One third of Instagram active users are high earners (30k-70k+).
- Currently, Instagram proves the best platform for organic growth, with 23% more engagement on images than Facebook.
- Brands get 10x more engagement on Instagram than on Facebook, while more than two thirds of users look brands up on Instagram.
Build on authenticity through Instagram
But why does Instagram generate such high engagement and search rates?
Sure, all posts on this social media platform need to be visual (photography and video), but can this alone be the cause?
Experts describe Instagram through one main word – authenticity. And that is precisely the top quality of influencers across digital platforms. Their videos, photos and written content come across as personal and authentic. It shows them as they really are, an image people can relate to. And this applies to brands as well. The more authentic, real, and personal you look to potential customers, the easier it becomes to build trust with them.
With such a varied range of offers for anything they want to buy, customers today choose brands and businesses they love, trust and can identify with. By using images which show who you are and what your products can do for your customers, you can gain their trust and attention.
How to reach and engage users
If you wonder how to reach that level of engagement Instagram makes possible, you need to know this trick. Follow accounts which regularly share content from users. Also, make sure you use the appropriate hashtags. Some of these pages might require an email with your content you’d like to enter for being shared. And if it doesn’t happen overnight, don’t worry: organic growth takes time, but also means long term benefits.
Remember also that Instagram requires persistence and interaction. Algorhythms select content with good SEO through hashtags, captions, but also from active accounts. Be consistent, interact with people who like your content, check out what they post and give something back. This way, you grow your chances to build a great Instagram presence.